Overview of Tour :
Weston River Cruise, as the name implies, is located at Weston, a district of about 16km from Beaufort town. It is bestowed with mangrove jungle and various species of wildlife.
Drive through the scenic Beaufort Highway, overlooking the South China Sea and the traditional Malay village, witness the scenic view of paddy field and oil palm plantation along the way. Weston is a small riverside town with traditional Malay village and Mangrove Forest. Weston River Cruise will cruise along the Si Jam-Jam river and Mangrove Forest Reserve.
Visitors will have chance to witness a variety of wildlife including Probosics Monkey (Nasalis Larvatus), long tail macaque monkey, silver languor monkey, monitor lizard, beaver and variety species of birds. Do not miss the sighting of fire flies which never stop to enlighten the spirit of visitors. Enjoy the sumptuous Malay-style dinner after the cruise before the journey end.
The lodge is a 2-storey wooden building built on riverside and surrounded by dense Nypa palm (or Nipah). Nipah swamp forest, which has existed over 70 million years, is one of the oldest forest type in the world.
Mosey on your way down Weston River through spectacular vistas on an open boat in search of the endemic proboscis monkeys, long tailed, macaques, the rare silver languor and other wildlife along the river bank.
Get those camera, binoculars on stand-by and keep your eyes peeled for the shy creatures in between the branches.
As dusk settles in with a sunset, enjoy the sights and sounds in a natural setting as you have a sumptuous village style dinner. Show’s not over yet though, there is one more trip through the mangrove swamp, but this time it is graced by the secret rhythm of fireflies and their flickering lights.
However, as much as we hate to disappoint, we are entering a natural habitat where sightings are common, but it is NOT GUARANTEED.
- Rise and Shine, you will be picked up from the hotel lobby.
- Journey to Weston (approximately 112km from Kota Kinabalu city), It will be a scenic ride pass local villages, fruit stalls and small towns.
- Some local hi-tea favorites awaits upon destination, before you get those binoculars on stand-by and ready for your safari river cruise.
- Mosey down the Weston river on an open boat. Your tour guide will be there to point out any exciting wildlife spotting. Keep your eyes peeled for the elusive long-nosed proboscis, long-tailed macaques, birds such as Kingfishers, darter, eagles. You will be able to differentiate the female and male proboscis by their behavior. If you are lucky, you might be able to spot some nocturnal animals like the flying fox and night bats.
- Your cruise will then end with a sumptuous dinner by the river lodge.
Visit Weston River
See Proboscis Monkey
Hi-Tea & Dinner
Hotel Pickup / Drop Off
Pick Up Time:
Drop Off Time:
* All timings are estimated and for reference purposes only. Actual timing will be provided prior to your departure.
Did You Know
Proboscis monkeys are endangered mammals that are endemic to Borneo. Their characteristics are their fleshy, pendulous noses used to attract mates, big bellies and their light golden brown fur coats for the adults. They live in organized harem groups consisting of a dominant male and two to seven females and their offspring. They have evolved webbed feet and hands to help them outpace the crocodiles, one of their main predators. Proboscis monkeys survive mainly on a diet of leaves, seeds, and unripe fruits but will occasionally consume insects as well. The only fruit they will eat is unripe fruits as the sugars in ripe fruits can ferment in their stomachs and cause fatal bloating.
Proboscis monkeys (Nasalis larvatus) endemic to Borneo, is nicknamed “Monyet Belanda” or “Dutchman” by the locals due to its large body size, big round pot bellies and striking colours fur coat. But what makes them famous is the huge long nose and a permanently erect bright red penis seen in mature males. The reason is unknown for this permanent erection but with between 20 to 24 females proboscis in a male’s harem, we guess the alpha male needs to.
- Meals: 01 High Tea, 01 Dinner
- Include: Hotel Pickup & Drop off, Land Transportation (Seat-In-Coach), Boat Ride, Meals as Stated and English Speaking Guide
- Exclusion: Personal Travel Insurance, Tipping (Optional), Alcoholic Drinks, Any Items Not Mentioned
- Long Trousers
- T shirt
Things You Should Bring
- Raincoat or umbrella
- Sunblock lotion
- Sun hat
- Insect repellent
Things You Should Know
- Departure time varies from different hotels, please reconfirm with our staffs.
- Pelancongan Taikar Worldmart Sdn Bhd does not guarantee wildlife sightings.
- Pelancongan Taikar Worldmart Sdn Bhd reserves the right to alter routes, timetables, itineraries and accommodation reserved should conditions beyond our control render it necessary.